Dorothy is helping me with a new slow carb lifestyle. She is very supportive and encouraging. She is very skillful in dealing with client of all ages, lifestyles and weight goals. I have received personalized and detailed tips from her for everything from meal recipes to restaurant guides. She is very invested in my success. I highly recommend her!
Why Get a Coach?
A good diet coach will take the frustration and guesswork out of your diet and fitness plan, will help you get back on the wagon when you fall off, and will hold you accountable on a consistent basis. A good coach also knows how to help you clarify your goals, adjust the approach as you evolve, and develop the habits that will sustain your fitness level over the long term.
It is certainly possible to follow a diet plan on your own, but it takes a lot of time to wade through the overwhelm of conflicting information on diet and health. If you do decide to try low carb, slow carb or ketogenic diet plans on your own, I have put together a comprehensive guide that will tell you exactly what foods are allowed on each and why, the best habit strategies to get you to success, and a meal plan with photos and recipe ideas.
Most people will benefit from a coach but there are those mavericks that just need a list of dos and don’ts and a few resources to succeed. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to go the self-directed route first and decide if you want coaching later. The eguide is only $9.99 so you won’t lose much to give it a go. Purchase the eguide below or click here for a more detailed summary of what is in it.
Why Get a Coach (Part 2)?
The secondary reason to get a coach is that it can be a tremendous time-saver for busy people. There is an overwhelming amount of information on the internet regarding diet and nutrition, some of it evidence-based, some of it anecdotal and some of it wrong. I have curated the answers to most of the questions dealing with low carb, slow carb or keto diets, as well as the exercise, sleep and habit information. It can be a huge advantage to have a trusted source of information rather than having to sift through it on your own.
With respect to the overwhelming amount of information and research on diet-specific success rates there are a few key things that are consistent across the board. Really sustainable fat loss boils down to 3 simple concepts (please know however that simple does not mean easy).
- decrease sugar, whether it be hidden sugars in processed food or sugars resulting from eating simple carbohydrates;
- eat whole foods and steer clear of processed snack foods; and
- learn the strategies for habit change and apply the ones that resonate with you to your particular challenges and your particular lifestyle. Habit change is critical to long term sustainability, and a sustainable plan is what most of us want. Yo-yo dieting is an exercise in frustration.
Which Diet Plan is Best?
Dorothy has been helping me achieve my goals with my Ketogenic diet. I’m really glad I found her because I didn’t know where to begin with this diet – she helped make it easy and straightforward at every step of the way.
Well, of course that depends on your ultimate goals.
Based on my personal experience, the research, and what I have seen with over 300 clients now, low carb diets have shown the greatest success rate for the goals of fat loss, sustainability, and reversing diseases associated with inflammation.
There are many low carb diet approaches to choose from, but they all deal primarily with food choice and hormonal control rather than a calories-in-calories-out approach. The calories-in-calories-out approach (like Weight Watchers) can be effective for “rapid” weight loss, but it rarely is successful over the long term. As a general rule, people do not like to live a life where they are hungry all of the time. The calorie-counting type of rapid weight loss and the subsequent rapid weight gain is the well-known phenomenon of yo-yo dieting.
I lost my initial 30 pounds over a 6-month period with Tim Ferriss’s Slow Carb Diet (aka 4-hour body). I found that the scheduled cheat day, the lack of counting calories and the food choices were a fit with my lifestyle and goals.
After maintaining the weight loss for 3 1/2 years I went on to jump start another 10 pound loss by moving into a Ketogenic Diet. For the past year I have individualized my program to include Intermittent Fasting with some carb cycling.
My experience is what Tim Ferriss is referring to when he calls the Slow Carb Diet a Trojan Horse. It can be the gateway into a more challenging Ketogenic approach or to an approach that includes Intermittent Fasting or Carb Cycling.
Bottom line, success for myself and my clients revolves around:
- getting very clear on your goals
- finding the habit change strategies which will work for you
- persevering through the starts and stops
- decreasing the sugar!
While some people can reach their fitness goals on their own, the help of a coach can make it much faster and much less frustrating. The information is all out there, but implementing it is where it becomes a struggle. I can help.
Why hire me:
1. Proven track record:
- coached over 300 people (covering a wide range of diverse age groups, fitness levels and cultures)
- designated a top coach on coach.me (statistically based on retention rates and client satisfaction)
- 74 client testimonials detailing their experience (which you can read here)
2. “Been there done that”. It took me 6 months to lose my 30 pounds and I maintained the fat loss for 3 1/2 years. I then jump started my fat loss again last year, losing another 10 pounds by becoming fat-adapted under a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting.
3. I would not promote anything to my clients that I haven’t thoroughly researched and trialed on my own body also, which includes intermittent fasting, carb cycling, and a wide range of exercise regimes.
4. I stay current on all evidence-based research in the fitness field, focusing on clinical long-term studies rather than anecdotal information. I have broken down that information into easy to understand topics so you don’t have to wade through the overwhelm.
5. I am trained in habit change strategies to help you get through your particular challenges.
6. Although diet is the biggest factor in fat loss and health, I am knowledgeable and trained in the other keys to fitness — exercise, sleep and stress.
Dorothy’s help with the Slow Carb Diet goal has been a big factor in my weight loss and body re-definition success. Her specific and motivating communications have helped me a great deal. She has a library of knowledge ready to share, but doesn’t dump it on you. For me, a key aspect is having her as my own research expert – rather than spend time wading through the web and blogs – she can answer your question right away. Overall, having a partner to help troubleshoot and share frustration has been key and worth the investment. I’d encourage anyone considering Slow Carb to just pick a start date, and jump right in with Dorothy as your coach. You’ll see results.
What Coaching Style Works Best for You?
Just as the diet approach should fit you as an individual, the coaching approach needs to resonate with your individual style and needs. I currently offer 3 approaches:
This eguide includes:
- comprehensive charts showing what foods are allowed and not allowed on either low carb, slow carb, or keto diets (and why)
- Best strategies for habit change around diet
- How to evaluate which diet is best for your goals
- How to track macronutrients (and why)
- Meal plan ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
- Click here to Purchase
One-to-one Chat Based Coaching
This package includes:
- Daily interaction via text or email (M-F)
- Tracking & Troubleshooting
- Support & Inspiration
- Individualized Feedback
- Expert Nutritional Guidance
- Curated Resources on your specific questions
- Meal planning ideas
- Help designing exercise programs
- Help building new habits
- Help breaking old or bad habits
- Comprehensive E-guide
- Cancel at any time
- Click here to learn more or sign up
Comprehensive Fitness Package
This package includes:
- 3 phone or skype sessions interspersed as needed (typically an initial call to set up goals & strategies, another call as coaching progresses, and a “maintenance-planning” call prior to leaving coaching
- Daily online chat sessions to troubleshoot & provide guidance
- Tracking & Accountability
- Habit change strategies around all fitness aspects (including sleep, exercise, stress & nutrition)
- Help in curating specific health issues
- Customized diet & exercise plans
- Comprehensive E-guide and free access to future ebooks and eguides
- Cancel at any time
- Click here to learn more or sign up
Coach.me is the platform I coach on. It is the world’s best goal tracking app for Android and Apple phones. Using the app makes it easy for us to connect wherever you are even without wifi. You can also use Coach.me in your browser.
Also know that coach.me offers coaching in many areas other than diet. There are expert coaches available to coach you in productivity, writing habits, meditation and many other areas that work to improve your life through habit change.
Click on this link to my profile and then explore other coaches and different goals from there!