Which Diet Plan is Best?
Well, of course that depends on your ultimate goals. Based on my personal experience, the research, and what I have seen with over 400 clients to-date, there are several versions of low carb lifestyles that result in high success rates for the goals of fat loss, sustainability, and reversing diseases associated with inflammation.
While there are many low carb diet approaches to choose from, they all deal primarily with food choice and hormonal control rather than a calories-in-calories-out approach. The calories-in-calories-out approach (like Weight Watchers) can be effective for “rapid” weight loss, but it rarely is successful over the long term. As a general rule, people do not like to live a life where they are hungry all of the time or where they are tied to tedious portion control and calorie counting. The calorie-counting type of rapid weight loss (and the subsequent rapid weight gain) is the well-known phenomenon of yo-yo dieting.
What Coaching “Style” Works Best for You?
Just as the diet approach should fit you as an individual, the coaching approach needs to resonate with your individual style and needs. I currently offer 3 approaches:
Self-Directed Plan for Low Carb, Slow Carb or Keto
Includes 75-page guide & meal plans for low carb lifestyles
Highlights of this program include:
- a comprehensive eguide that includes:
- How to evaluate which diet is best for your goals
- How to track macronutrients (and why)
- Meal plan ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
- Charts, Tips & Tricks for navigating diet change
- cancel anytime (and keep the eguide)
Diet Coaching & Sustainable Habit Change
This package includes:
- Daily interaction via text or email (M-F)
- Initial strategy-setting phone or skype call
- Brief phone calls throughout coaching as needed
- Tracking & Troubleshooting
- Support & Inspiration
- Individualized Feedback
- Expert Nutritional Guidance
- Curated Resources on your specific questions
- Meal planning ideas
- Help designing exercise programs
- Help with building new habits
- Help breaking bad habits
- Cancel at any time
Comprehensive Health, Fitness & Nutrition Program
This package includes:
- phone or skype sessions interspersed as needed (typically an initial call to set up goals & strategies, short calls throughout coaching to deal with specific individual challenges, and a “maintenance-planning” call prior to leaving coaching
- Daily online chat sessions to troubleshoot, track progress & provide guidance
- Tracking & Accountability (method can be simple to complex depending on your style)
- Habit change strategies around all fitness aspects (including sleep, exercise, stress & nutrition)
- Help in curating specific health issues (particularly inflammatory issues)
- Customized diet & exercise plans
- Comprehensive E-guide and free access to future ebooks and eguides
- Cancel at any time
Why Get a Coach?
A good diet coach will take the frustration and guesswork out of your diet and fitness plan, will help you get back on the wagon when you fall off, and will hold you accountable on a consistent basis. A good coach also knows how to help you clarify your goals, adjust the approach as you evolve, and develop the habits that will sustain your fitness level over the long term.
Dorothy is helping me with a new slow carb lifestyle. She is very supportive and encouraging. She is very skillful in dealing with client of all ages, lifestyles and weight goals. I have received personalized and detailed tips from her for everything from meal recipes to restaurant guides. She is very invested in my success. I highly recommend her!
Coaching for Busy People:
One of the frequently cited reasons people give for hiring a coach is that it can be a tremendous time-saver. There is an overwhelming amount of information on the internet regarding diet and nutrition, some of it evidence-based, some of it anecdotal and some of it wrong. I have curated the answers to most of the questions dealing with low carb, slow carb or keto diets, as well as current evidence-based information on exercise for fat loss, and approaches to habit change. It can be a huge advantage to have a trusted source of information rather than having to sift through it on your own.
With respect to the overwhelming amount of information and research on diet-specific success rates there are a few key things that are consistent across the board. Really “sustainable” fat loss boils down to 3 simple concepts (please know however that simple does not mean easy).
- decrease sugar, whether it be hidden sugars in processed food or sugars resulting from eating refined carbohydrates;
- eat whole foods and steer clear of processed snack foods; and
- learn the strategies for habit change and apply the ones that resonate with you to your particular challenges and your particular lifestyle. Habit change is critical to long term sustainability, and a sustainable plan is what most of us want. Yo-yo dieting is an exercise in frustration.
Why hire me:
1. Proven track record:
- coached over 400 people (covering a wide range of diverse age groups, fitness levels and cultures)
- designated a top coach on coach.me (statistically based on retention rates and client satisfaction)
- 98 client testimonials detailing their experience (which you can read here)
2. “Been there done that”. It took me 6 months to lose my 30 pounds and I maintained the fat loss for 3 1/2 years. I then jump started my fat loss again last year, losing another 10 pounds by becoming fat-adapted under a ketogenic diet with 16/8 intermittent fasting.
Dorothy has been helping me achieve my goals with my Ketogenic diet. I’m really glad I found her because I didn’t know where to begin with this diet – she helped make it easy and straightforward at every step of the way.
3. I would not promote anything to my clients that I haven’t thoroughly researched and trialed on my own body also, which includes intermittent fasting, carb cycling, and a wide range of exercise and sleep regimes.
4. I stay current on all evidence-based research in the fitness field, focusing on clinical long-term studies rather than anecdotal information. I have broken down that information into easy to understand topics so you don’t have to wade through the overwhelm.
5. I am trained in habit change strategies to help you get through your particular challenges.
6. Although diet is the biggest factor in fat loss and health, I am knowledgeable and trained in the other keys to fitness — exercise, sleep and stress.
Dorothy’s help with the Slow Carb Diet goal has been a big factor in my weight loss and body re-definition success. Her specific and motivating communications have helped me a great deal. She has a library of knowledge ready to share, but doesn’t dump it on you. For me, a key aspect is having her as my own research expert – rather than spend time wading through the web and blogs – she can answer your question right away. Overall, having a partner to help troubleshoot and share frustration has been key and worth the investment. I’d encourage anyone considering Slow Carb to just pick a start date, and jump right in with Dorothy as your coach. You’ll see results.
The Online Coach.me Platform
Coach.me is the platform I coach on. Using the mobile app makes it easy for us to connect wherever you are even without wifi. You can also use Coach.me in your browser. Also know that the coach.me platform offers coaching in many areas other than diet. There are expert coaches available to coach you in productivity, writing habits, meditation and many other areas that work to improve your life through habit change. If you would like to know more about the other coaching goals email me and I can get you referred to the right person (I’ve been working with these coaches for over 5 years now and know them well). My email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on this link to my profile for more about diet coaching. Email me for more info about other coaches who coach leadership, productivity, meditation, work-life balance, writing and addiction.